Health and Fitness

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Vegetable Risotto

Exciting news (for me at least)!  I will now, hopefully, remember to take photos of my recipes to share on the blog.

If you want a filling yet light lunch or dinner, this risotto recipe is great.  The recipe serves 2. 

1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Zucchinis (I used 1 yellow squash)
1/2 Cup peas
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese
2 Cups of vegetable broth
1 Cup of Arborio rice

Start by heating a pan on medium heat.  Add the olive oil, garlic and onion and saute for about 5 minutes.  Add the Arborio rice and saute for about 5 minutes, until it begins to smell toasted.  Add the zucchini and enough broth to cover the rice (I do no saute the zucchini before this because I want it to still have a little firmness and not get over cooked).  Stir often.  When the liquid is absorbed, add more to cover.  Do this until the rice plumps up, it usually takes about 20 minutes.  To make sure it is cooked but not mushy, taste it at the  15 and 20 minute mark.  You may need more or less than 2 cups of broth.  When the rice is finished, stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment