I had posted an original vegetable sandwich recipe when I first started this blog and various versions have come about since. This one is my favorite so far!
Ingredients for 2 sandwiches:
- Ciabatta rolls or a 4inch piece of a loaf, sliced in half
- 2 red peppers, roasted with skins peeled off (roast in oven at 400 degrees, cooked for 15 minutes until the skin bubbles)
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into about half inch rounds
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- olive oil for drizzling
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped red onion
- a small bunch of basil leaves, chopped
- Start by adding the feta cheese, lemon juice, onion, and basil to a bowl. Add about a tsp of olive oil to the mixture and stir to mix. It will almost form a paste.
- Next, heat a large skillet to medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add as many zucchini rounds as you can and flip them after a minute or two. You want them to be browned but not translucent and mushy (overcooked). Do this until they are all cooked. After they are cooked, sprinkle some crushed black pepper over them. The feta cheese mixture should be salty enough to season the sandwich.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread the feta cheese mixture on one half of the bread and add the zucchini and red pepper, top the sandwich with the other half and press down for a few seconds so it all stays together.