- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part skim Mozzarella
- 1/2 pound of pizza dough (I used whole wheat)
- 1 tomato, chopped (Yellow tomato in the photo)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion (if you don't have either garlic or onion just sprinkle some powdered of each over the spinach)
- 1 1/2 cup of frozen spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Creamy Spinach Pizza
After an intense summer semester I again have time to update with the recipes I have made and also develop new ones! Yes, very exciting because my focus can now shift back to food. My approach is still to fill recipes with a lot of vegetables (or fruits), use little oil (especially butter) and still get great tasting and satisfying meals.
So I wanted to make pizza one night but not the typical red sauce/cheese combo that I frequently make.
To start, heat a skillet to medium low and cook the garlic and onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Raise the heat to medium and add the frozen spinach. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the spinach is thawed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the ricotta cheese and stir into the spinach. Now heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Flatten the pizza dough to whatever size and thickness you desire and place on a pizza stone or a greased baking sheet. Spread the spinach mixture on the dough, then top with mozzarella cheese and the chopped tomatoes. Bake in the over until the dough is crispy and the cheese is bubbly, about 10-15 minutes.